Saturday, January 31, 2009

Don't Look Back in Anger

Oasis
The Forum, Copenhagen, January 24


I'll admit I didn't have the highest expectations for this gig. An open floor with 9,000 people, a band that can barely get on stage with out fighting, and a back catalogue that I had no hope of learning before the gig. I was just keeping my fingers crossed that I would know enough songs to make the steep ticket price worth it. However, Val and I somehow got front row spaces (a little off to the left, but that ended up being fortuitous later) and the crowd was incredibly relaxed. Another nice break after Pete.

Opener The Floor Is Made of Lava was decent live, and remarkably prompt. Their sound left something to be desired, since the bass was loud enough that it actually made my scalp vibrate, which detracted from my ability to understand/enjoy the music especially well. However, what I could make out of their songs suggested that they had catchy hooks, and I checked them out later on last.fm. Decent.

Oasis came on, again, really promptly. Val told me the Danes are very offended by lateness; maybe I should just go to concerts in Denmark from now on. They opened with Rock and Roll Star, played a few tracks off their new album including lead single Shock of Lightning, then mixed in some classics like Morning Glory, Supersonic, and Live Forever, and of course Wonderwall, which Liam taunted the crowd with by announcing the song before as Wonderwall. The actual version was just okay; needed more weird pronunciation. Liam, oddly, left the stage for about half the set (whenever Noel sang), but otherwise a fairly normal gig. No fighting on stage, which was almost disappointing. Cigarettes and Alcohol was introduced as "for anyone here from England"-- a little Albionesque dissatisfaction with the world, I guess.

The encore was the high point of the gig, with Champagne Supernova and a great acoustic version of Don't Look Back in Anger. They closed with a cover of I Am the Walrus, which went off well but should have been shuffled with Supernova. It seemed like a strange choice to close with a song from another band. However, Walrus was a personal high point in the gig, since Val and I appeared on the giant on-stage screens for about a minute. Everyone asked if it was awkward/embarrassing, but actually it was just really fun.

The verdict? All in all a strong set. They played for almost an hour and a half and got in most of the classics, which were an obvious high point.

Pictures later when I get over my uploading apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment